Join Us in Making North Carolina Diabetes Free
Every year in North Carolina, more than 50,000 adults are diagnosed with type 2 diabetes1.
You can help prevent or delay progression to diabetes by identifying and managing patients with prediabetes.
Impact of prediabetes in North Carolina
2.8 million NC adults have prediabetes. That’s 36.4% of our state population.1
Through the statewide initiative DiabetesFreeNC, your patients with prediabetes can attend an evidence-based National Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) lifestyle change program free or at low cost, regardless of their insurance provider. This comprehensive program is designed to help your patients make healthy, sustainable lifestyle choices.
Here's what you can do
1. Identify your patients at risk for abnormal glucose.
2. Order appropriate lab tests, evaluate results and diagnose your patient.
3. For your patients diagnosed with prediabetes, engage in shared decision making and initiate treatment such as:
• Referral to a National DPP • Pharmacotherapy with metformin • Referral to medical nutrition therapy
4. Follow up and support your patients through their treatment plan.